Last Updated on
Sweet Potato Mint & Feta Patties was a delicious recipe.
I cannot claim credit to this recipe as I saw it in this book Simple Vegetarian dishes from the Library I was stunned to see simplicity of the dish.
I had to try it but by the time I got down to making the patties it was past the season and so I used what was stored in the freezer. Yes for once I had stored the sweet potato and not thrown it out. Sweet potato can be stored in the freezer, but store them under water then it will not blacken.
Sweet potato is a root known for its soft, creamy texture. Popular in both savoury and sweet dishes, the sweet potato is a nutritious alternative to potato.
Sweet potatoes are high in vitamin A, B5, B6, and riboflavin. Sweet potatoes also contain very little fat and markedly lower calorie content than potatoes. However, they do contain more sugar. It is also an antioxidant and is thus highly recommended for anti-ageing. It has also shown cancer-prevention benefits.
Feta cheese is a Greek cheese made by adding enzymes to goat or sheep milk. These enzymes convert the lactose into lactic acid. This is what gives feta cheese a sharp taste.
Feta cheese is a healthy choice of cheese. It is rich in calcium, riboflavin, phosphorus, and vitamin B12. However, the amounts of calories contained in it are high. Saturated fat is a prominent constituent of feta cheese. It is because of this that feta cheese is necessarily consumed in very small quantities.
Feta cheese, however, is a healthier choice than many others like, for example, cheddar. Further, low-fat varieties of this cheese are available in the market. Pasteurised feta cheese is a healthy choice for pregnant women. But stay away from unpasteurized feta as this has been known to cause harmful effects on the foetus. Lastly, although not completely lactose-free, it contains less lactose than other dairy products. Additionally, since it is eaten in small quantities, the amount of lactose consumed is very small making it an attractive choice for lactose sensitivity.
Yummy Sweet Potato, Mint and Feta Patties
Sweet Potato is a healthy alternative to Potatoes and Feta is eaten in small quantities and a healthier cheese.
- Preparation time: 15 minutes
- Cook time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 6
- 600 grams Sweet Potato, peeled and grated
- 1 Egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup Maida/APF
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 100 grams Feta Cheese, crumbled
- 3 tablespoons Pudina/ Mint
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- 4 tablespoons Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons Parsley, chopped (I did not use)
- Mix the grated sweet potato, the egg, maida, butter, feta, pudina salt and pepper till well mixed.
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan using a large spoon add the mixture to the pan and flatten with the back of the spoon.
- Cook till golden on both sides.
- Bake in the oven @ 325 F/160°C for 15 minutes or till crisp.
- To serve transfer to a plate add a dollop of sour cream and garnish with chopped parsley.
- Next time I will add some pungent spice powder.
[inlinkz_linkup id=648412 mode=1]