This Moong Sprouts And Spinach Baked Khaman Dhokla is the healthier version of Khaman.Traditionallt this fluffy and spongy snack is made with gram flour, yogurt, spinach, sprouts and aromatic spices and herbs is steamed and is a crowd-pleaser. Baking reduces the oil used and it a guilt-free healthier option. Tangy and mildly sweet flavor, Khaman is a quick snack or a party appetizer. Make and enjoy the authentic Gujarati snack.
Soya Chunks Stuffed Karela
Stuffed Karela also Stuffed Bitter Gourd is a side dish and a great way of eating the bitter vegetable that most people shun.
Shallow fried and not fried as in the traditional Uttar Pradesh style. I have used soya chunks to increase the protein content.
Stuffed Bitter Gourd is a common dish in most North Indian states.
My love for this vegetable that is known as hagalkai in Kannada and karle in Marathi is very well-known in my home.
Here are a few dishes I have made in the past Stuffed Karela, Bitter Gourd ~Flavours of Nepal, Karati Che Kismore and there are some that I have not posted some as in my place no one eats these.
Stuffed Karela or Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe
Shallow fried and not fried as in the traditional Uttar Pradesh style. I have used soya chunks to increase the protein content.Print Pin Rate
Servings: 4 people
- 6 karela /bitter gourd
- 2 onions chopped fine
- 1 Potato boiled and mashed
- ¼ cup soya chunks boiled and drained
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon Haldi/turmeric powder
- 2 teaspoon dhania/coriander powder
- 2 teaspoon Jeera/cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 2 teaspoon Dry mango powder amchur
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tablespoon oil + oil for frying
- Wash, scrape, and slit the karela/bitter gourd.
- Remove the seeds and discard them.
- Apply salt and leave it for 12 hours. I generally leave them overnight.
- Soak the karela in water for about ½ hour then wash them thoroughly. Squeeze them a bit and set aside.
- Meanwhile in kadhai/wok heat oil, add the onions and cook until a bit soft.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook again until the onion is translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, jeera powder and dry mango powder/amchur.
- Stir well and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the mashed potato and soya chunks mix well.
- Cook until you get a delicious aroma.
- Cool and then stuff the karelas with this stuffing.
- Check the seasonings. Since you will be using it to stuff in salted karelas keep the salt low.
- Traditionally these stuffed bitter gourds are deep-fried in medium hot oil until dark brown.
- However, I shallow fried them in a non-stick pan with little oil till dark brown.
- Flip them over cook on the other side.
- Use oil if needed only.
- Cook covered for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Tried this recipe?Mention @themadscientistskitchen or tag #themadscientistkitchen!
Priya Suresh says
Soya chunks stuffed Karela, wow what a dish re, seriously i never thought of stuffing bitter gourd with soya chunks, am in love with this dish.
Srivalli Jetti says
That is surely a very different stuffing you got Arch, I have stuffed masala into a karela, nice idea to use soya....good one!
Gayathri Kumar says
Very innovative stuffing for karelas. As karelas don't go well in my house, I rarely buy it but I am a great fan of this delicious veggie.
Srividhya Gopalakrishnan says
I second gayathri. Such an innovating stuffing for karela. Health bhi aur taste bhi. Super
Sharmila Kingsly says
Yummy and healthy stuffing in bitter gourd.. I usually make Bitter gourd chips but this is one awesome recipe.. Should try this out!!
We can form a club Archana. lovers of Karela in a karela hating family:-)). But I too don't wander beyond the usual fried Karelas. This recipe is for sure an innovative one!
Mayuri Patel says
I personally don't like karela but my hubby loves them. Stuffing karela with soya is different.
Omg ! This is thinking out of the box ! Could never have thought soya Karela combo , wow ! Archana .
Nice idea to stuff soya keema in bittergourd.Looks awesome,kudos to your effort.
Anlet Prince - Annslittlecorner says
Soya stuffing in Karela sounds very interesting to me. Can wait to try this.
I am a karela lover and this idea of stuffing it with soya chunks is fabulous. Looks super delicious. Bookmarked!
The soya chunks stuffing sounds so amazing. I love karela ????????
wow wow ! u cud be a star in my house if u make it for the elder one who LOVES karela-everyday !
even a karela-hater is loving this idea !
ruchi indu says
We here are not big fans of karela. So this vegetable makes a very rare appearance in my kitchen. But this recipe sounds interesting to try..