Ghuguni Recipe checks all the boxes for me. It is vegan, gluten-free, protein-rich and easy to make. A simple side dish that can be served as a snack too. Try making this yum curry and you will fall in love with it!
Stuffed Karela also Stuffed Bitter Gourd is a side dish and a great way of eating the bitter vegetable that most people shun.
Shallow fried and not fried as in the traditional Uttar Pradesh style. I have used soya chunks to increase the protein content.
Stuffed Bitter Gourd is a common dish in most North Indian states.
My love for this vegetable that is known as hagalkai in Kannada and karle in Marathi is very well-known in my home.
Stuffed Karela or Stuffed Bitter Gourd Recipe
- 6 karela /bitter gourd
- 2 onions chopped fine
- 1 Potato boiled and mashed
- 1/4 cup soya chunks boiled and drained
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp Haldi/turmeric powder
- 2 tsp dhania/coriander powder
- 2 tsp Jeera/cumin Powder
- 1 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp Dry mango powder amchur
- Salt to Taste
- 1 tbsp oil + oil for frying
- Wash, scrape, and slit the karela/bitter gourd.
- Remove the seeds and discard them.
- Apply salt and leave it for 12 hours. I generally leave them overnight.
- Soak the karela in water for about 1/2 hour then wash them thoroughly. Squeeze them a bit and set aside.
- Meanwhile in kadhai/wok heat oil, add the onions and cook until a bit soft.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and cook again until the onion is translucent.
- Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, jeera powder and dry mango powder/amchur.
- Stir well and let it cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the mashed potato and soya chunks mix well.
- Cook until you get a delicious aroma.
- Cool and then stuff the karelas with this stuffing.
- Check the seasonings. Since you will be using it to stuff in salted karelas keep the salt low.
- Traditionally these stuffed bitter gourds are deep-fried in medium hot oil until dark brown.
- However, I shallow fried them in a non-stick pan with little oil till dark brown.
- Flip them over cook on the other side.
- Use oil if needed only.
- Cook covered for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve hot.