1 September, 2015
Lentil – Dal Curry Recipe, Sri Lankan WayComments : 14 Posted in : Accompaniments, Blogging Marathon, Chillies, Cinnamon, Coconut Milk, Curry, Curry Leaves/Kadi Patta/Karbevu, Daal or Lentils, Garlic, Green chilli, Masoor Daal-Orange Daal, Meal, Mustard/Rai/ Sashvi/Mohri, Rice, Sri Lankan CUisine, Tomatoes on by : ArchanaPotdar Tags: Accompaniments, Blogging Marathon, Coconut milk, Lentil - Dal Curry Recipe, Sri Lankan Cuisine
Lentil – Dal Curry Recipe, Sri Lankan Way is a delicious daal an example of #Sri Lankan cuisine.
Sri Lankan Cuisine is a melting pot of flavours that includes colonial powers, foreign traders and the Southern India and so it is distinct.
The use of rice, coconut and especially spices, reflects the island nation’s history as a spice producer and trading post over several centuries.
The flavours and aromas either you will love or hate…
I have adapted the recipe from here.
Lentil – Dal Curry Recipe the Sri Lankan way
This Dal recipe tastes amazingly delicious. My girls just loved it.
- Preparation Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Serves: 6
For the dal:
- 1 ½ Cups Masoor dal/red lentils
- 3 Cups Water
- ¾ Cup Coconut milk
- 2 Teaspoons Haldi/turmeric powder
- 1 inch Dalchini/cinnamon
- 2 medium Tomatoes, quartered
- 2-3 Green chilli, halved lengthwise
- 1 Spring curry leaf
- 4 Tablespoons Ghee or oil
- 1 Tablespoon Rai/mustard seeds
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- 4 Garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 Sprig curry leaves
- 5-6 Chillies, dried
- 1 Lemon
- Salt to taste
Making the Dal:
- Rinse the lentils in cold water until clear.
- Place in a medium saucepan and add the water, coconut milk, turmeric powder, salt, dalchini/cinnamon, tomatoes, and green chillies and curry leaves.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until the lentils are cooked. Do not cover the dal as it may spill over.
- Add more water as necessary.
Preparing the Tadka:
- In a kadhai/wok, heat the ghee or oil on high heat till just beginning to smoke.
- Add the mustard seed and cover with a cover to prevent splattering.
- Once the seeds have crackled add the onions, garlic, curry leaves and the dried red chillies.
- Reduce the heat to medium and fry till the onions turn a golden colour. Take care as the tadka may burn.
- Add the lentil mixture to the sautéed spices and allow to simmer gently for a couple of minutes.
- Add lime juice and adjust the seasoning with salt. The lentil or dal curry is ready to be enjoyed as an accompaniment to rice.