Take a shortcut for your next Summer Party appetizer use bakery brought toast or Rusk! A simple and colourful snack that easy for kids to put together.
Last Updated on
Lauki and Chana dal vegetable i.e Bottle gourd (opo squash) and Split Bengal Gram is a delicious tasting curry that is not too spicy. This curry is made without onions and garlic, the spices used too is mild.
You can use tomatoes too to make this bottle gourd and split Bengal gram vegetable but I preferred it with the lemon juice alone. Next time I will make with both tomatoes and lemon juice.
I had heard a lot about this vegetable but never tried making it as in my place chana dal is not preferred. I will make it next time with moong dal.
This is a common vegetable made in Punjabi homes and I remember eating it at my friend’s place. I love Punjabi food it’s wholesome and flavourful. Dals are a speciality of Punjabi cooking and are cooked on slow fire for a long time making the dal more flavourful.
The health benefits of Bottle Gourd also known as Lauki you can check out in my Vegetable Spiced Cake Handvo post.
The main ingredients in this dal are bottle gourd, chana dal or split Bengal gram, ginger and ghee.
The other recipes that I have tried using bottle gourd are Doodhi Halwa or Bottle Gourd Halwa, Bottle Gourd and Ridge Gourd Soup, Lauki aur Turai Ka Soup, Vegetable Spiced Cake Handvo, Paneer, Bottle Gourd and Mint Parathas-Working Lunch Thali, Paneer, Bottle Gourd and Mint Parathas-Working Lunch Thali.
Chana Dal or Split Bengal gram I do not use as much but still here are a few that I have made Hayagreeva | Hayagriva |Hayagreeva Maddi, Ambe Dal, a Salad~Padwa Special, Dhokar Dalna for North-South Challenge, Masala Vada/ Chana Dal Vada/ Chattambade, Chana Dal Khichidi.
This recipe is adapted from Sanjeev Kapoor’s Kitchen Secrets, Main Dishes.
Lauki Chana Dal
- 1 small lauki/doodhi /bottle gourd cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup chana dal /split bengal gram soaked for 1 hou
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 tsp Haldi/turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 2 tsp dhania/ coriander powder
- 2 green chilli chopped
- 1/2 inch Ginger piece opped
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Jeera/cumin seeds
- asafoetida a pinch
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dhania/ Coriander Leaves chopped
- In a deep pan chana dal, bottle gourd, ginger, salt, chilli powder, coriander powder, green chillies and turmeric powder and bring to boil with 2-3 cups of water.
- Reduce heat and cook covered till the gram is soft and the bottle gourd is cooked. This will take about 20-25 minutes.
- Mash with the ladle slightly and set aside.
- Heat ghee in a non-stick pan add cumin seeds, asafoetida and let seeds crackle.
- Add the dal mixture and simmer stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the lemon juice.
- Serve hot garnished with coriander sprigs.
[inlinkz_linkup id=725577 mode=1]