Adding some healthy Milk flavourings! Bone strengthening Kachaya Dinka chi Pud Recipe with Healthy seeds and Nuts. Play around with flavours and textures!
I have brought a bottle gourd. It was the smallest and the tenderest one the bhajiwala had but was still big enough to fill to big Tupperware boxes when cubed. I made bhaji once but then since I wanted a change I decided to make kheer/payasa.
This could also be because the boys in the opposite cubicle at work were discussing how make kheer out of bottle gourd. They, very authoritatively told me 2 methods one the regular with milk and another with coconut milk. They were insiatant that I use sago or sabudana which I never use. I am sure both don’t even know where the kitchens at home are but their passionate cooking without flame here in office made me make this kheer, With milk will try the coconut milk one later. I was supposed to carry it to work but I plain forgot. It’s still in the fridge.
The ingredients used are approximate.
1 cup bottle gourd, peeled and cubed to fine pieces
1 tblspn ghee
Few cashew nuts
2 tblspn sago or sabudana, soaked in ¼ cup water
½ cup sugar
¾ litre milk
4 elichi/ cardamom
Few strands of saffron (optional)
1. Heat a steel bowl on the gas. When it is hot switch off the gas and drop the saffron strands in it. The strands shrivel add a tblspn or two of milk and keep aside.
2. Heat the ghee and fry the cashew nuts till golden. Drain and keep aside.
3. In the same ghee add the bottle gourd and stir fry till the cubes are translucent.
4. Add the milk, soaked sabudana with the water and bring to boil. Boil till the bottle gourd is well cooked.
5. Add sugar and continue boiling for a few minutes.
6. Add the cardamom powder, saffron strands, cashew nuts mix well and switch off the gas.
7. Serve hot or chilled. Plain or with chapatti or poori.
Sending this to Radhika’s Let’s Cook ~ Scrumptious Breakfasts
Mom Chef’s event (Vrat ka Khaana)