A low-fat Apple and Cashew nut Halwa Recipe that tastes amazing is deal for the coming festive season of Navratri and Diwali. Comfort food for the Fall season too! Simple, easy and healthy! You can adapt the Apple Pudding to suit a Vegans too!
A gluten-free and vegan vegetable-based curry that tastes out of this world is commonly called Ishtu.
This stew recipe from Kerala is a mild and yet deliciously aromatic is made with mixed vegetables, coconut milk and spices. Serve with either Malabar parotta, appam, Idiyappam or Ghee rice.
- Not only is it a satisfying Comfort food, it uses all the leftover bits of mixed vegetables like potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, French beans.
- Spices like green cardamoms, Cloves, Cinnamon, Green chillies, ginger, black peppercorns, curry leaves make it mildly aromatic and fantastic to taste.
- This budget-friendly filling curry is, of course, tasty, rich and easy to make.
- If you are using canned coconut milk then your prep is just chopping the veggies and hence when you are in a hurry make this foolproof stew.
- A party pleaser, this stew can be easily made in a large quantity and freezer friendly.
- Since the ishtu tastes better the next day, make it a day ahead of your party.
The ingredient without which you cannot make Vegetable Stew Kerala Style is coconut milk, coconut oil and curry leaves!
In God’s Own Country coconut grows abundantly and hence is used in food quite a bit for thickening and flavouring too.
To make this bowl of stew however you can use either homemade coconut milk or canned one.
Making the curry is simple and fast! I make it on the stovetop in my wok.
- Crush the whole spices and add to hot oil in a deep pan. Let the spices splutter.
- Sauté the onion, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chilli till the onion becomes soft and transparent.
- Stir in cubed vegetables add thin coconut milk and salt, bring to boil. Simmer till vegetables are tender.
- Add thick coconut milk and cook for 5 more minutes, switch off the gas and curry leaves fried in coconut oil or ghee.
- Serve hot.
Vegetable Stew in Coconut Milk
- Mortar and Pestle
- Spoons and Ladles
- 1 carrot cubed
- 1 potato cubed
- 1/2 cup cauiliflower chopped
- ¼ cup green peas
- 1 onion sliced finely
- 4-5 green chillies
- 1 tbsp ginger crushed
- 1 tbsp garlic crushed
- ½ tsp whole black pepper
- 1 piece cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 3 cardamoms
- 1 ½ cup thin coconut milk
- ¾ cup thick coconut milk
- Curry leaves
- 1 tbsp oil
- With a mortar and pestle crush the black pepper, cinnamon, cloves and cardamom.
- Heat oil in a deep bottom pan drop in the crushed spices let them splutter.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic, curry leaves and green chilli and sauté for a few minutes till the onion becomes soft and transparent. Take care not to brown the onions.
- Add the cubed vegetables and mix well.
- Add thin coconut milk and salt, bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and let the mixture simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Add thick coconut milk and cook for 5 more minutes & remove from fire.
- Garnish with curry leaves fried in coconut oil or ghee.
- Traditionally this is served hot with appam, puttu, roti etc;
This is my older photograph