A South Indian Bhat recipe uses an easy homemade spice blend. I am sharing 2 ways of making the rice but I am sure you will come up with more options. Try it!
Yesterday I made “Kanga che Nevri”!
Kanga in Konkani is Sweet potato and Nevri is Kadbu or Karanji that is Kadbu or Karanji of Sweet Potato.
This is made traditionally in Goa and my friend Vidya’s Mum never fails to send me a few.This time I wanted to try it out myself, so armed with instructions I began.
O! before I forget since I cannot get any takers for sweets I made them spicy. Traditionally, they are sweet leave the chilli powder out add cardamom seeds powder.
3 big sweet potatoes
1 cup grated coconut
¾ cup jaggery
2 tblspn Chilli powder (optional)
1 tblspn whole wheat flour
Plastic sheet, greased
Non-stick pan for frying
Metal spatula like the good old one granny used for dosas.
1. First, wash the sweet potato and boil them. I pressure cooked for 1 whistle. Let it cool.
2. Heat 1 cup freshly grated coconut with jaggery and chilli powder fry till the mixture forms a uniform mixture and is almost dry. Cool it this is your filling.
3. Now grate the sweet potato (I tried to peel them and did manage). This is so that no fibre remain in the dough.
4. Add a little salt, wheat powder and knead to form a soft dough.
5. Next, take a lemon sized ball of the dough. Place on the greased plastic sheet a little off centre, cover with the other edge of the plastic sheet and with the rolling pin roll out a thick poori. About ½ inch thick thinner and it is difficult to handle.
6. Gently peel off the plastic sheet. Place the filling in the centre using the other edge of the plastic cover the filling.
7. Cut off the rough edges. Transfer to a non-stick pan. Repeat till all the balls are over.
8. Shallow fry one side. Carefully flip over and fry the other side.
P.S. From the 3 sweet potatoes I used I got 7 of these but 3 broke off as I did not realise how delicate they are. Use a sharp spatula to flip them. The wooden ones are useless.
Sending this to Vatsala’s Show and Tell Blog event Holi Aayi Re
Ayeesha’s Event happening at Taste of Pearl City A.W.E.D- Indian Cuisine, Event Announcement
Event by DK
Event by DK