Creamy Moutabel also called Mutabal is part of the Middle East Cuisine is made from Roasted Eggplant. A delicious way to add in your family’s diet aubergine a very healthy but much-disliked vegetable. Serve it as a part of Mezze Platter or for the Tailgating you host next?
Mushroom and Fried Raw/Green Banana sticks in a kokum sauce was the general idea around which this dish is developed.
Traditional Goan Food is a facebook page of which I am a member. There is a challenge currently #TGF100K Mystery Box Challenge! where you have to make a dish with mushrooms, bananas, kokum or tamarind, green chilli and star anise and protein of your choice.
My friend Pradnya suggested this making raw banana also green banana in the US fried sticks and making a sauce of all the other ingredients.
I would have loved to grill paneer or tofu in garlic sauce. Since I had not verbalised the idea to hubby he had not brought paneer or tofu.
The main ingredients are chickpeas, mushroom, raw banana, star anise and kokum. I have used button mushrooms here but oyster mushrooms will be delicious.
This dish looks very beautiful so in case you have a sit-down dinner with a few friends then this is an ideal salad. We had it as a side dish with roti.
So let us get down to the recipe
Mushroom and Fried Banana Sticks in a Kokum Sauce
- Spoons and Ladles
- 2 Raw Bananas
- Salt to Taste
- 1/2 tsp haldi/turmeric
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- Oil for frying
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 4-5 Garlic cloves crushed
- 2 big onions sliced
- 1 Potato cut in 8 pieces
- 2-3 cauliflower florets cut bite size
- 200 grms Mushrooms cut in quarters
- 2-3 Green chillies chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli powder
- Salt to Taste
- pinch Sugar
- 2-3 Kokum
- 1 cup Water
- 1 piece star anise
- Jaggery adjust as per taste
- 2 cups cholay/chickpeas boiled
For the Kokum Sauce:
- In a small saucepan put kokum, water, jaggery and salt to boil.
- Once it sets on a rolling boil set aside and add the star anise.
For the Raw Bananas:
- Grease your hands, peel, and cut the raw bananas to thin sticks.
- Apply salt, turmeric and chilli powder mix well and set aside for half an hour.
For the Mushroom Gravy:
- In a kadhai/wok heat oil.(Keep the flame on medium throughout.)
- Add the garlic and fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the onions and fry until translucent.
- Add the potatoes and mix well. Sprinkle a little salt and cook covered until the potatoes are half cooked.
- Next, add the cauliflower and mix well. Cook covered for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, green chillies, garam masala, red chilli powder, salt and sugar.
- Cover and cook for another 4-5 minutes. Set aside uncovered.
- Deep fry the raw bananas till crisp. Drain and use immediately.
- On a dish serve 1/2 cup of boiled chickpeas.
- Arrange the vegetable on the chickpeas.
- Next, arrange the fried banana sticks on the vegetables.
- On the table, add the kokum sauce as needed.
- The vegetable I made had no liquids in case you desire the liquid cook on low flame and keep the dish covered till needed.
- Since we find the aroma of star anise strong I have used only one piece and added it in the end. You can adjust as per your taste.
- The kokum sauce could do with a little thickening. Use besan or chickpea flour for a protein-rich sauce or use cornflour.