Last Updated on
My daughters’ complaints are basically centred on idli and dosa. For me, it’s a healthy fast food for them its punishment. Dosa they are ready to eat if I have made them after a long time but getting them to eat idlis is like getting your teeth extracted without anaesthesia! I know I am exaggerating but then it feels like that.
So I was pleasantly surprised when Apeksha helped herself with this idli.
I am grateful to the Taj Vegetarian Fare that my friends Mahesh & Sangita have given me. I will also like to thank Padma for giving me the idli rice that is not available in Goa so I could make lovely soft delicious idlis. The next time, however, I am going to make these as mini idlis instead of the standard sized ones.
These are a colourful addition to a party table are they not?
This is my Blogging Marathon entry for the month long Marathon under the theme” Occasional”!
For The Idli Batter:
- 1 Cup urid dal/ split white black gram
- 3 cups idli rice or idli rava
- 1 tsp salt
For the curry leaf powder
- 100g curry leaves
- 25 g split Bengal gram (channa dal)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tblspn split white gram (urid dal)
- 15 g whole dry chillies
For the podi spice
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- 50 g split Bengal gram (channa dal)
- 25 g slit white gram (urid dal)
- A pinch of asafoetida
- 20 g dry whole red chillies
- Salt to taste
- Red chillies
To make the idli batter:
- Wash and Soak the rice and the urid dal separately for minimum 8 hours in 7 times its volume in water.
- Drain the water grind the urid dal to a fine paste. Grind the rice in a coarse paste.
- Mix both the rice and dal pastes add salt and leave it aside for 8-12 hours to ferment at room temperature.
- Pour the fermented batter in a greased idli mould and steam for 20 minutes.
- Cool and remove from the moulds. Set aside.
For the curry leaf idlis:
- Dry roast all the ingredients for the curry leaf powder and grind to a coarse paste.
- Heat 2 tblspn ghee and mix with curry leaf powder.
- Toss in the idlis gently season and set aside.
For the podi spice idlis:
- Dry roast all the ingredients for the podi and grind to a coarse paste.
- Heat 2 tblspn ghee and mix with podi powder stir.
- Remove from heat Toss in the idlis gently and set aside. Reserve.
- Peirce the chilli with the toothpicks then sticks the tooth pick in the each of the idlis. Serve it with onion & peanut, coconut and onion chutney.
- The curry leaf powder next time will be this powder.
- Make the mini idlis next time the amount of ghee will be 2 tsp and the flavour will be much better.
Linking this to Jagruti’s Gain Popularity
Hi! First time here? Well, then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook page. I will be happy if you can follow me on Twitter too!