This Moong Sprouts And Spinach Baked Khaman Dhokla is the healthier version of Khaman.Traditionallt this fluffy and spongy snack is made with gram flour, yogurt, spinach, sprouts and aromatic spices and herbs is steamed and is a crowd-pleaser. Baking reduces the oil used and it a guilt-free healthier option. Tangy and mildly sweet flavor, Khaman is a quick snack or a party appetizer. Make and enjoy the authentic Gujarati snack.
Healthy and Tasty Quinoa Uppittu
Making this healthy and tasty Quinoa Uppittu is amazingly easy.
Quinoa does not need treatment like rava or sooji, there is no roasting involved here. So this becomes a fast food but a healthy one. Just right for the Simple and healthy Vegetarian Food in Old age theme that I am running this #Cooking Carnival.
So today before you jump to my beautiful Quinoa Uppittu recipe lend me your ear(time).
Upma also called Uppuma or Uppittu or Sajjige is a common #Breakfast in South India, Maharashtra and Sri Lankan Tamil .
So what is Upittu?
cooked as a thick porridge from dry roasted semolina or coarse rice flour. Various seasonings and/or vegetables are often added during the cooking, depending on individual preferences.
Uppumavu, a Dravidian word may have come from the words ‘Uppu’ means Salt and ‘Mavu’ or 'Hittu' means flour. Upma could also be an abbreviation of Uppumavu.
The basic ingredient in making Upma is usually Rava or Suji or Semolina. The taste of Uppittu is different and varies from household to household. The use of certain ingredients, spices or vegetable will give you different flavours.
The variations to Uppittu is mind boggling.
So you can have Uppittu made from wheat and rice of varied grain size, Jowar Rava, vermicelli. Veggies like beans, carrots, cauliflower, add cashew nuts, peanuts to suit your taste and purse. In Dharwad, we add cucumbers too. Add sambar masala or garam masala, and red chilli powder, instead of green chillies you have Kharabath, KarnaKarnataka. Add coconuts or cabbage when you want to avoid onion.
Akki Tari Uppittu (Rice coarse flour uppittu ) smeared with ghee at the end of preparation is popular in Tamil Nadu and southern parts of Karnataka.
You can also make Bread Upit or Idli Upit with leftover bread and idli or Corn Upit from corn.In addition to the regular Upit/Upma from rava try making Upma with Jowar Rava, vermicelli.
Now that I have bored you enough with my love for history & geography & GK , the Quinoa Upma recipe adapted from here .
Healthy and Tasty Quinoa Uppittu
Upma also called Uppuma or Uppittu or Sajjige is a common #Breakfast in South India, Maharashtra and Sri Lankan Tamil.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 2
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 3 tablespoons Oil
- 2 Onion, chopped
- 2-3 Green chillies, chopped
- A pinch of hing/asafoetida
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon Rai/mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon Urid Dal
- 1-2 Carrot (small), chopped
- 7 French beans, chopped
- ½ cup Peas (I used frozen)
- 2 cups Water
- Salt as required
- 2 tablespoons Dhania/ coriander leaves, chopped
- Rinse the quinoa in a fine strainer.
- Heat the oil in a kadhai/wok.
- After the rai/mustard seeds crackle add the urid dal and let it golden brown.
- Add chopped green chillies, asafoetida. Sauté for a second or two.
- Add chopped onion and curry leaves. Stir and sauté on a low till the onions become translucent.
- Add water and bring to boil add salt.
- Add the quinoa and bring to boil covered till the water boils down to the level of the quinoa.
- Then add carrots, French beans and frozen peas. Mix.
- Cover the pan with its lid and simmer on a low flame till the quinoa seeds are cooked. Quinoa is cooked when the grains are translucent.
- Stand covered with the gas switched off for about 5 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoon chopped coriander leaves.
- Stir and serve vegetable quinoa upma warm or hot.
- This is the way I make upma/upit as we like the vegetables with a little crunch.
- You can if you like stir fry the veggies before adding the water. Then add the quinoa and cook.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 68
[inlinkz_linkup id=648402 mode=1]
Quinoa Uppittu recipe looks so healthy and similar to quinoa pulao. Would love to have this while it is warm. WIll try this upma your way. NIce post.
Mayuri Patel says
A healthy protein rich breakfast. Love quinoa so am sure I’ll enjoy this quinoa upma when I make it for breakfast.
Seema Sriram says
I had a pack of quinoa but was not kind of in the mood to make anything with it. So glad I saw your recipe, we have quinoa uppit today. Very tasty!
Priya Vj says
Quinoa uppit is a very healthy and filling way to start the day . I loved how beautifully the quinoa is cooked and how each pearl has turned out fluffy and plumpyy.
Sujata Roy says
Quinoa upma sounds delicious and super healthy. I have Quinoa right now so going to try it soon. Adding vegetables definitely made it more nutritious.