The spicy and delicious condiment that peps up mealtimes! Simple to make Gun Powder Chutney uses flax seeds as one of the ingredients. How else do I feed the reluctant family flax seeds?
Methi Dal the delicious way to jazz up plain old dal with fresh fenugreek leaves.
Takes away the boring feature of same old dal and get leafy veggies in my girls.
In place of methi try using palak, rajgira, chavli, or drumstick leaves. I will not say shepu or dill as I do not like it myself. So if you try it out and let me know.
I remembered this daal Amma served regularly, she used one vegetable that grows wild in rains in Kannada it is called Harvi Playa. There were lots growing in my Aunts place and she sent it across. I still remember the aroma of the dal and the taste it was yum. It’s a pity that these local varieties of vegetables are shunned by us now. They are so much more healthy and cheaper.
The other dal that I have made with leafy vegetables are Muddi Palaya( Golaa Bhaji), Palak Moong Dal, Simple Chawali chi Pale Bhaji or Stir fry with Cowpea Leaves.
The main ingredients in methi dal are toor dal, methi, garlic, ghee. In place of toor dal, you can use moong or even masoor dal.
Fresh Methi Dal Recipe| Dal with Fresh Fenugreek Leaves
- 1 cup toor dal rinsed
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1/2 tsp Rai/mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Jeera/cumin seeds
- pinch Methi/fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp Haldi/turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Hing/Asafoetida
- A pea sized ball of jaggery
- A small piece of tamarind optional
- 1/2 tsp rasam powder
- 1 cup of fresh methi leaves picked, washed and drained
- 1/2 Lemon
- Wash and drain the dal.
- Add sufficient water cook the dal in the cooker for 3 whistles.
- Let the pressure drop naturally. Once the pressure drops open the cooker and mash the dal with a ladle. Set aside.
- In a kadhai/wok, heat the ghee.
- Add the rai/mustard seeds and let them splutter.
- Add jeera/cumin seeds then add the methi seeds.
- Add the haldi/turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Add the green chillies, garlic.
- Sauté for a few seconds until the raw smell goes away.
- Add the mashed dal and hing/asafoetida.
- Mix well. Add a cup of water.
- Add the jaggery, tamarind, rasam masala, salt.
- Bring to a roll boil adjust the consistency.
- Add the methi leaves roughly chopped and switch off the gas.
- Squeeze lemon just before serving with plain steamed rice or even plain chapatti.
[inlinkz_linkup id=725590 mode=1]