Last Updated on
Egg Omelette is much appreciated in my place especially the Indian Omelette. Simple to make with whatever is available in your pantry this protein rich dish is good for young and old alike if you are an Ovo-vegetarian.
According to Wikipedia,” In cuisine, an omelette or omelet is a dish made from beaten eggs fried with butter or oil in a frying pan (without stirring as in scrambled egg). It is quite common for the omelette to be folded around a filling such as cheese, chives, vegetables, meat (often ham or bacon), or some combination of the above. Whole eggs or sometimes only egg whites are beaten with a small amount of milk, cream, or even water.”
Masala Omelette is another name for an Indian Omelette.
Indian omelets are generally made with green chillies, dhania/ coriander leaves, and onions all chopped fine. A dash of turmeric and salt to taste is added to the eggs. Generally to make an omelette fluffy you beat the ingredients well add a tablespoon of room temperature milk per egg and your omelette will be fluffier.
An egg is extremely versatile you can make anything from Fried Egg, Egg Curry, Bhuna Masala Egg Curry to Devilled Eggs/Deviled Eggs/Eggs Mimosa, Anda Bhurji Wraps/ Scrambled Eggs Wrap ~Indian style, Egg Chat, Kerala Malabar Style |Mutta Biryani| Egg Biryani.
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 big mushroom finely chopped
- 2-3 Green chillies finely chopped
- 1 tsp Red Chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp Haldi/turmeric powder
- 4 tbsp Milk
- Salt to Taste
- 2 tbsp Coriander leaves finely chopped
- 4 slices Bread
- In a big bowl add half of all the ingredients i.e. the onions, mushrooms, chillies, red chilli powder, turmeric, salt and eggs.
- Beat with a fork till the volume doubles up.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan.
- Add the 2 tablespoons milk and beat again.
- The pan must be hot lower the flame to minimum and add the mixture to the pan.
- Swirl the pan so that the mixture spreads well. You can also use the spatula to move the egg mixture to the edges of the pan.
- Here you can dip the slices of bread in the egg. Then turn the slices over. This way the slices are coated with egg on both the sides.
- Once the eggs set and the mixture appears cooked in the centre carefully flip the omelette and cook on the other side.(look at notes for easy flipping techniques)
- Serve hot.
- Repeat with the balance ingredients.
- Use a lid with a heat proof handle and invert the pan on the lid after loosening the sides of the omelette. The omelette will drop in the lid then gently ease it into the pan the uncooked side down.
- This is difficult but I love this method give the pan a sharp jerk. The omelette must jump out of the pan and then it turns over. Hold the pan steady under the falling omelette. A lot of practice and torn omelette later I still have troubles when I try this method.
[inlinkz_linkup id=725595 mode=1]