25 October, 2017
Serradura, Sawdust Pudding, Macau Pudding
Serradura, sawdust pudding, or Macau pudding are the names of a delicious Portuguese pudding. In Macau, Serradura is “a must” have dessert and very popular.
Serradura is a layered pudding with a simple combination of whipped cream and crumbled Marie biscuit. Serradura is called sawdust pudding as in Portuguese serradura is sawdust, which refers to the way the biscuits look in the pudding, as they are crushed very fine into crumbs.
Traditionally, serradura is made with tea biscuits, also known as Marie biscuits, and whipped cream. Now you have flavours like Oreo, coffee beans, nuts, green tea the amount of cream and biscuit crumb is varied to suit the ingredients. Why not flavour the cream too, an idea for future serradura.
Serradura is easy to make and the main ingredients are condensed milk, Marie biscuit crumbs and whipping cream.
The number of servings you get is approximate as it will depend on your glass size.
- 250 ml whipping cream
- 6-7 tbsp condensed milk ( optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 6-7 Marie biscuits
- 1-2 tbsp cocoa powder
- In a plastic bag add the Marie biscuits and crush them. You can crush them fine but since I prefer not to as I end up coughing over the fine powder.
- Whip the cream until it reaches it reaches soft peak stage.
- Add the condensed milk if using, I did not as my cream was sweet.
- Add vanilla essence and whip until the peaks form and hold.
- Choose your container you can use glasses as I have or use a glass tray like so.
- The method is same for both but I will prefer to speak about layering in a glass.
- In a glass, add a spoonful of biscuits, make sure all the sides and corners are covered.
- Using a tea strainer add the cocoa and sieve gently a thin layer of cocoa.
- Then spoon in the cream. Spread well.
- Again, layer with biscuits, cocoa and finally cream.
- Continue till you reach the top. End with biscuit and cocoa.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Serve chilled.
- You can replace the whipping cream with thick cream. Then you will need condensed milk.
- In between layers, add coffee and cocoa, cashew nuts, almond flakes, chocolate. The choice is yours.
- (Flavour the cream idea for future serradura.)
Hi! First time here? You are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!