Instant Poha Idli
Instant Poha idli is simple to make yet delicious and filling for those days when nothing goes right.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Resting Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Servings: 12 idlis
- 1 cup rava roasted lightly
- 1/2 cup poha | beaten rice thick
- 1 cup curd slightly sour
- A pinch of Eno fruit salt
- Salt as per your taste
In a sieve add the poha and wash it under running water till the water runs clear.
Transfer to a medium sized bowl and add the curds and the rava and give it a good mix. Add a teaspoon or 2 of water if the mixture is too dry.
After about 5 to 10 minutes run the immersion blender or transfer to a mixer jar and grind till the mixture is a fine homogenous mixture. Use a little water if needed.
Transfer back to the same bowl if you have used the mixer jar. Add salt and mix well.
Get the cooker ready by adding sufficient water in the base and start heating the water. Remember to remove the valve/weight from the cooker lid.
Add water, if needed, to make a thick dropping consistency.
Grease the idli mould with ghee, oil and add the batter in the mould.
Once the water is boiling rapidly place the idli stand in the cooker. Cover with the lid.
Steam the idli only for 10 - 12 minutes. Do not overcook the idlis.
Once you remove the idlis from the cooker let it stand for 2 minutes.
Remove to a bowl or directly to a plate.
Serve it with spicy chutney and sambar.
- You can also use a greased plate like I have to make your idlis. To make things interesting for a child then use a cookie cutter to cut the idlis.
- Poha| Avalakki| beaten rice can be any variety thin, thick or medium. I generally stock the thick kind.