Cauliflower in Cheese Sauce
I came across this sauce in a cook book and knew it will be loved at home.
- 1 medium Cauliflower cut into florets
For the sauce:
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1/4 Cups Maida/APF (I used whole wheat flour)
- 1 1/4 Cups Milk
- 115 Grams Cheese grated, I used Amul Processed cheese
- Salt to taste
- Kali mirich/ Black pepper ground
- 1/4 teaspoon Red Chilli powder (optional)
To make the sauce:
Though the traditional method is melting the butter and then stirring the flour I prefer to stir the butter in the flour then gently cook it, stirring constantly about 1 minute. The flour should not brown.
Then I cool the pan fully and then gradually stir in the milk breaking all the lumps.
Cook again on low heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil simmer gently for 1-2 minutes.
Stir in three-quarters of the cheese and season (add the chilli powder here if using).
Spoon the sauce over the boiled cauliflower.
Add the rest of the cheese on top.