Kala Chana Sundal
A Simple, delicious Vegan and yet protein-rich dish that is also called Konda Kadalai Sundal
Prep Time8 hrs
Cook Time20 mins
Servings: 4 people
Spoons and Ladles
- 1 Cup kala chana/ kabuli chana
- 1/8 tsp baking powder or cooking soda optional
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- A pinch of hing/asafoetida
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1-1/2 tsp urid dal
- 1/2 cup coconut freshly grated
- 1 Tsp mustard seeds
Rinse soak Kala chana for 6-8 hours or overnight in 4 cups of water.
In the morning drain, rinse the Kala chana add 2 cups of water.
Add the soda if using and pressure cook for 4 whistles or till the soft.
Let the cooker pressure come down naturally. Check the Kala chana is done. Just press it between your fingers. If it mashes easily it is done.
Drain the chickpeas and reserve the water to make your dal or gravies.
In a chutney pot of the mixer grind 1/2 cup of grated coconut and green chillies. Keep aside. I did not do this as my coconut was fine enough.
Heat a kadhai/wok, add oil ( you can use coconut oil).
Add the mustard and let it splutter.
Add hing or asafoetida, add whole red chillies ( I used red chilli powder), curry leaves.
Add the coconut-chilli mix and stir well. Add the kala chana and stir-fry. Mix well.
Switch off the flame. Serve it immediately.
- Now I did mention that you can make the Sundal without coconut. In which you just make the tempering and add the Kala chana.
- However, you can also make the Sundal with onions and garlic. For that chop 1 onion fine, chop the garlic too. In the tempering add the garlic and 3/4 th of the onion. Sauté until the onion is translucent. Add the chana and then the coconut chilli mix, if using. Serve garnished with the onion.
- If like my father you do not want chana, you can use sprouted moong. Only do not cook the moong in the cooker. Add in the tempering, sauté a little say 2-4 minutes. Add the coconut chilli mix, if using. Serve immediately.