10 September, 2015
ShrikhandPosted in : Accompaniments, Bachelor Recipes, Blogging Marathon, Curds-Yogurt, Dessert, Fasting Foods, Festive Cooking, Gujarati Cuisine, Indian Cuisine, Indian Desserts, Karnataka Cuisine, Maharashtrian Cuisine on by : ArchanaPotdar Tags: Accompaniments, Bachelor Recipes, Blogging Marathon, Curds, Dessert, Festive, Indian, Indian Desserts, Shrikhand
Today at the #Buffet onTable join me for a #Maharashtrian meal of #Poori or Puri, #Batata chi Bhaji,# Sadha Varan and #Bhat!
I had made koshimbir too but forgot to include it on the thali .
You know if you ar ea regular visitor to my place that I love sweets and no one in my place is keen on them. Then Shrikhand is too not enjoyed by anyone present company included. This is one sweet that I used to get upset every time Amma made it. So it was a set thing for Sisters birthday it was Shrikhand and mine Basundi or Payasa.
Anyway enjoy today’s Shrikhand and this time I tasted it a bit and it was okay!
A delicious fruit based accompaniment that can be served as a dessert too.
Preparation time: 180 Minutes
Serves: 4 People
- 1 Kilogram Thick curds
- ¾ Cup sugar
- A few kesar/saffron strands
- 1 Tablespoon warm milk
- 2 Teaspoon elichi/cardamom powder
- Transfer the curds to a big but small-holed sieve. (I have a plastic one that I use to strain my coconut milk and it’s big enough for my hand to fit in it, or you can hang the curds in a muslin cloth).
- Cover place a large deep bowl under the sieve and place in the fridge overnight or for 3 hours till most of the liquid in the curds has drained out.
- This hung curd is called chakka in Kannada and Marathi.
- Meanwhile soak the saffron into the warm milk.
- Mix together the hung curds, sugar, saffron mixture and cardamom in a bowl and churn using a hand blender.
- Serve garnished with cashewnuts, pistachio, almonds and kesar.
- You can play with the ingredients and make kesar shrikhand, elicihi shrikhand etc. The kesar gives a lovely yellow colour.
- Shrikhand can be made yummier with the addition fruits like mangoes.
- Make the Shrikhand one day in advance and the flavours and colours are much much better.