12 December, 2017
Whole Wheat Oats Bread #BreadBakers
Whole Wheat Oats Bread is dense bread that my daughters went crazy about it.
Thanks to Kalyani of Sizzling Tastebuds I tried making a whole wheat bread with oats.
This is not a combo that my girls like, they are bred on the maida or APF bread either store-bought or homemade. In fact, since they liked it I had to repeatedly tell them to save a slice so that I can take pictures.
The plan was to make the bread at around 7 pm just in time for the evening meal. I forgot that I had dough resting in the corner. As a result, I put the dough in the freezer! (How dumb a person can get).
The next day I left it on the counter for an hour and then baked it. the dough never did get the lovely rise of the earlier day and I did not want to experiment anymore. No time, not this month!
Whole Wheat Oats Bread
- Serving: 1 loaf
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40-45 minutes
- Passive Time: 2 hours
- Adapted from: here
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsps sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-½ cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup maida/APF
- ½ cup oats flour (use a little less than ½ cup oats )
- 2 tsp yeast (I used instant yeast)
- Grind the oats in a dry grinder or the chutney grinder of your mixer to a fine powder.
- Warm the water add yeast and sugar mix well.
- At the melted butter to the yeast.
- Mix the flours well.
- Combine the yeast mixture and then knead the flours until well combined. You may need a little extra water. I needed about ½ cup more warm water.
- Need for 5 to 8 minutes until the dough is elastic.
- Transfer the dough to a well-greased bowl.
- Turn the dough so that the other side is also covered with oil.
- Cover the dough with a cling film and let it rise for about 1 hour or ill double in size.
- Degas the dough and let it rest for 5 minutes
- Finally, shape the dough and transfer it to a greased pan.
- Cover with the cling film and let it rise for 1 hour.
- Bake 180 degrees centigrade for 40 to 45 minutes. The bread will sound hollow when you knock on it.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let it cool for about 10 minutes on the cooling rack.
- Run a knife around the edges of the bread and gently remove from the mould.
- Let the bread cool completely before slicing.
- Enjoy your bread with butter or cheese spread or soup.
- 100% Whole Wheat Bread from Cook’s Hideout
- Eggless Whole Wheat Chocolate Cinnamon Rolls from Spill the Spices
- Gingerbread and Oatmeal Bread from Mayuri’s Jikoni
- Kamut Cloverleaf Rolls from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Key-Shaped Challah with Finger Millet from Sara’s Tasty Buds
- Khameeri Puri from Sneha’s Recipe
- Oats Whole Wheat Bread from The Mad Scientist’s Kitchen
- Santa Lucia Buns from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Slovak Pasca from Ambrosia
- Spelt Banana Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Swedish Limpa from Palatable Pastime
- Whole Wheat Grissini from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Whole Wheat Stollen from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Wholewheat Garlic Flavoured Monkey Bread from Sizzling Tastebuds
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page.
We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient.