17 October, 2018
Quick Oreo Brownies #Choctoberfest 2018
Quick Oreo Brownies! I am trying it out for the first time and they like all brownies in my place disappeared about as quickly as I made them.
Brownies are adored in my place. Who does not?
There are so many brownies out there so why add one more to the list?
Reason 1. My Microwave is new I need to test it out.
Reason 2. This is the first recipe in the cakes/cookies section of the cookbook the MW came with.
Reason 3. These brownies get done in 6 minutes. Standing time is 5 minutes plus cooling time. However, for my friend’s birthday, I carried it warm and she had just one piece the rest just disappeared. So it does say they are yummy.
Reason 4. I remember seeing this in one of the many Facebook groups that I am a member of. I do not remember the person or the recipe but the image of those brownies is etched in my brain( please let me know if you know who it is). I need to exorcise it!
But what is a brownie?
A brownie is a flat, brown, dessert square that is halfway between a cake and a soft cookie in texture. However, it may vary in texture. It can be made anywhere between cake-like to a gooey chocolate fudge-like consistency. It often has additions like chocolate chips, nuts, marshmallows and so on. A variation made with brown sugar and chocolate bits but without melted chocolate in the batter is called a blonde brownie or blondie.
This chocolatey delight was born in the famous urban legend of Bertha Palmer, a socialite from Chicago. She requested the pastry chef of her husband’s famous Palmer House Hotel to create a new dessert for women attending an Exposition. The result was the very first Palmer House Brownie with walnuts and apricot glaze.
Like, I said the first time I made the brownie I made Oreo Brownies. The second time since I did not have Oreo’s and I left it for the last minutes I used pistachios in place of Oreo’s and walnuts. Next time plan to use marshmallows, walnuts, pistachios and chocolate chips. ( I told you we love brownies).
In case you do not believe we love them check these out
But then let’s get down to making these yummy brownies.
- Serves:12 slices
- Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Cooking time: 6 minutes
- Passive time 5 minutes +cooling time
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 tbsp cocoa
- 3/4 cup maida/APF
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup castor sugar/powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 small packets Oreo
- Grease the base of a square pan and line with oil/butter.
- Line with parchment paper. (I use oddys as I need not grease the parchment plus I can reuse it in my next bake).
- Melt the butter and add cocoa. I added the cocoa and melted it in the MW at high for 10 seconds.
- Mix well and set aside to cool a bit.
- Sift the maida/APF with baking powder, add the walnuts and set aside.
- Open the Oreo packets and remove the cream in between the cookies. Discard the cream and use the cookies.
- In a big mixing bowl transfer the cocoa and butter mixture, add the eggs and the vanilla essence. Add sugar and mix/beat well.
- Add the maida and walnuts mix well.
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and spread to the edges.
- Line as many cookies as you can I used 15. (The recipe says 12 slices).
- Place in the microwave oven and MW on high for 6 minutes.
- Let the dish stand in the oven for 5 minutes before removing from the oven.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let the brownie cool completely.
- Using the edges of the parchment remove the brownie.
- Slice and serve.
- Tastes best with ice cream or whipped cream.