23 November, 2008
KachoriPosted in : Snack, Urid Daal on by : ArchanaPotdar
As a kid I have stayed in Nagpur, the Orange City for 7 years. Summers in Nagpur are very hot and being away from my grand parents, uncles, aunts we used to be waiting to get back to Dharwad, our home town, to Ajji & Ajoba and of course mangoes.
The journey from Nagpur was by train, with a changeover at Miraj and it used to take 2 full days. If we i.e. my brother, my sister and I were traveling with Amma alone she was voted out…… it had to be Kachori at Shegaon or Wardha. The way we used to salivate at the thought of kochories!!
I was always on a lookout for these kachories.
When we brought our food processor it came with a cookbook by Lalita Ahmed and this was one of the first recipe’s I tried out.
in the present recipe I have made some changes but basically it is her recipe.
450 g wheat flour
½ tsp salt
2 tblspn oil
1 cup urid dal soaked for 2 hours
1-2 green chillies
Pinch of asafoetida
1 tsp jeera seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp sauf (optional)
½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp salt
1 tsp chat masala
½ tsp amchur powder
Oil for deep frying
1. Mix the flour, salt and water to make soft dough. Cover and keep aside.
2. Grind urid dal green chillies with ½ a cup of water coarsely.
3. Dry roast jeera seeds, coriander seeds, sauf gently for ½ a minute.
4. Cool and dry grind till fine.
5. Heat 1tblspn oil, add hing and dal paste fry for a minute.
6. Add the ground spice mixture, red chilli powder, seasonings, stir to mix and fry till all the moisture is gone and the mixture becomes light brown. Switch off the gas and add chat masala and amchur mix well. Let the whole thing cool completely.
7. Take a small ball of the dough and roll out to a small circle place 1 tsp of the filling in the centre. Encircle the filling pulling the edges of the dough to the centre. Dredge in flour and roll out to small circle. Make a few kachories and keep aside. Pour enough oil in a wok or a kadhai to deep fry the kachories one at a time.
8. Drain and serve hot with tamarind chutney.