Take a shortcut for your next Summer Party appetizer use bakery brought toast or Rusk! A simple and colourful snack that easy for kids to put together.
Last Updated on
My friend Sangeeta rang me up and asked me if we like jackfruit. She told me that she had 2 from her father’s orchards; one of them she said is kappa and the other rasal. Will I be interested in them both!
For uninitiated kappa phanas, phanas is what a jackfruit is called in Marathi and Konkani, kappa is where you get lovely jackfruit, and the fruit is firm not sticky and can hold its shape. Rasal is, you guessed right all the opposite, it’s sticky and tends to be slimy! There is little wonder that kappa phanas is in great demand.
But out of rasal phanas you can make phanas poli and dhonas. The two things i know of! And So I agreed. I got the recipe from Sangeeta herself she told me the methodology and the measures but then I forgot all the measures. So who else do you turn to? My Google friend and i found this recipe at the site .
So here is what you will need to make the Dhonas, a traditional Goan Sweet that can be steamed or baked. The sweet is made from cucumbers too but then it is called Tousule.
I used Bombay rava as i did not have the thicker one stocked at home please use that to get a better texture and taste.
- 2 cups jackfruit pulp
- 1 cup rava
- 1 cup jaggery, grated
- 1 cup coconut
- ¼ tsp salt
- Remove the seeds from the jackfruit and run it through a sieve. I used the Puran Yantra its easier and faster. The idea is the paste must be smooth. Now measure the pulp.
- Dry roast the rava on low flame till you get an aroma. Set aside to cool.
- As the rava is cooling mix the jaggery and the jackfruit pulp and allow the jaggery to melt. This takes some time.
- Once the jaggary has melted stir in the salt and the coconut and the cashewnuts. Lastly add the rava and mix well.( I had very few cashewnut thanks to the raid in my kitchen and last few that i had were picked clean off the cake)!
- Transfer to a greased tray and bake at 160⁰C in a preheated oven. The bake is done when the knife inserted comes out clean.
- Cool and serve.
In this series of blogging with alphabets here is what I have already blogged about.
Hi! First time here?
Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here.
If you are my regular visitor then a big Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Face Book page. I will be happy if you can follow me on Twitter too!