24 June, 2016
Beet Broschet a Tart Soup from UkrainePosted in : Appetizer, Bachelor Recipes, Blogging Marathon, Cuisine, Healthy food, International Cusine, Kid Friendly, Soup, Ukrainian Cuisine on by : ArchanaPotdar Tags: Beet Broschet a Tart Soup from Ukraine, Beetroot, Beetroot Recipes, Cabbage, Carrot, onion, Sour Cream
Beet Borscht is a soup from Ukraine and is popular in several other East European cuisines. They are Russian, Polish, Belarusian, Lithuanian, Romanian and Ashkenazi Jewish.
Beet Borscht is of Ukrainian origin and it includes beetroots as one of the main ingredients and hence the red colour. There are sour-tasting soups without beetroots, such as sorrel-based green borscht, rye-based white borscht, cabbage borscht, etc.
Beet Borscht is made by combining meat/ bone stock and beetroots with sautéed vegetables, like cabbage, carrots, onions, potatoes and tomatoes.
However, like me Beet Borscht is a very adjusting recipe. Borscht may include meat or fish, or be purely vegetarian. Beet Borscht may be served either hot or cold. Beet Borscht may range from a hearty one-pot meal to a dainty clear broth or a smooth refreshing drink. Beet Borscht is often served with smetana or sour cream, hard-boiled eggs and/or potatoes. However there are is choice of more involved garnishes and side dishes, such as uszka or pampushky, that can be served with the Beet Borscht.
Soups are an excellent way of getting “uneatable” veggies in kids. Believe me,, I have managed to get mine eat from pumpkin to bottle gourd and from ridge gourd to beetroot. My kids know it they ask me what soup I am serving them and enjoy them.
My recipe is adapted from” Vegetarian …made Simple.
Beet Broschet a Tart Soup from Ukraine
For the Soup:
- 1 Onion
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 2 Medium Beet roots cut in thin juliennes
- 1 Beet grated
- 1 small Carrot cut in thin juliennes
- 1 Celery stick sliced thin (I did not use)
- 2 Tomatoes peeled and chopped
- 3 Cups Water
- 1 Tablespoons Vinegar
- 1/2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Springs Dil I did not use
- 1 Cup Cabbage shredded
- Salt And Pepper to taste
- Sour Cream
- a !For Garnish:
- Sour Cream
- Slice the onion in thin rings.
- Melt the butter in a big heavy bottomed pan and add the onions. Cook on low heat stirring occasionally till the onions soften. (2-3 minutes).
- Add the beet root sticks, carrot, celery, tomato and cook stirring frequently for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the water, sugar and one spring of chopped dill if using.
- Add the salt and pepper. Bring to boil and then reduce the flame and simmer for 30-45 minutes or till the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the cabbage, cover and boil for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the grated beet and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Ladle the borscht in bowls. Garnish with sour cream and dil. Serve hot.