4 January, 2018
Vegan Lebanese Chickpea Stew
This Vegan Lebanese Chickpea Stew is a tasty and protein rich dish flavoured with jeera/cumin and za’atar a much-needed change from the regular Punjabi chana masala.
The other day I stumbled upon this awesome picture of the stew and went down hook line and sinker. The recipe seemed doable and I made it once the doctor allowed me to eat chickpeas. In fact, I bought chickpeas just to make this stew.
This stew goes well with bread, pita bread but I ate with couscous.
The main ingredients are chickpeas, za’atar, tomato, capsicum.
The other channa recipes on my site are
- Mushroom and Fried Banana Sticks in a Kokum Sauce
- Chole Masala| Punjabi Cholay |Kabuli Chana Masala
- Baked Kabuli Chana Biryani
- Butter Cholay
Lebanese Chickpea Stew
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Passive Time: 8 hours
- Adapted from Vaishali Honawar
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp jeera/cumin
- 2-3 tsp za’atar
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 2 leaves bay
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 1 capsicum
- 2 tsp oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Wash and soak the chickpeas in 4 cups water overnight.
- In the morning, roast the capsicum on the gas flame until the skin is charred.
- Immediately transfer the capsicum to a bowl and seal with cellophane for about 15 minutes. This will help you to peel the capsicum easily.
- Pressure-cook the chickpeas with a little salt for 3 whistles. Let the pressure come down naturally.
- Peel and chop the capsicum into small pieces.
- Crush the jeera and the garlic together until you get a coarse paste.
- Heat the oil in a vessel add the jeera and garlic.
- Sauté until you get an aroma.
- Add the tomato ketchup, red chilli flakes, and red chilli powder.
- Stir and sauté for about two more minutes.
- Keep aside a bowlful of the chickpeas and add the chickpeas and stir well.
- Add four cups of water, za’atar, bay leaves and the roasted red pepper. Mix well.
- Let the mixture come to a boil, lower the heat until it boils gently, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Mash the chickpeas kept aside and add to the stew.
- Add salt to taste and stir in the parsley. Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot.
- This is perfect with rice, brown or white. You can also serve with some crusty bread or some whole wheat pita bread.