13 August, 2018
Spicy Corn and Cabbage Rava Idlis|Breakfast Recipes
Spicy Corn and Cabbage Rava Idlis are simple yet delicious and great for a day when your breakfast is not planned.
The rava idlis I generally make are not idlis but flat and soggy I have to tell everyone home that they are idlis. Get the picture? Isn’t it a reasonable expectation that I want idlis that are nice and fluffy, not soggy at all. But now twice I have managed to make decent rava idlis. The first being instant ragi Idli from Sowmya’s Blog and the second one is this one here.
Actually, this one is copied from the Tupperware Flyer my friend is a Tupperware distributor. Every month she regularly gave me the flyer with the hope I will buy something. She also knows that I look at only the recipes shared there 😀
The main ingredients of Spicy Corn and Cabbage Rava Idlis are of course corn, cabbage, rava or semolina, buttermilk, Eno fruit salt (do not use cooking soda the results are disastrous) and tempering ingredients namely oil, mustard, hing/asafoetida, urid dal. You can use hot and sweet sauce too I have included it in the ingredients but have not used it.
The regular and not so regular Idlis I have tried are
- Instant Ragi Idli| Ragi Recipes| Breakfast Recipes
- Spongy Quinoa Idli for a Healthy Breakfast
- Mallige Idlis/ Jasmine Idlis
- Khushboo Idli
- Idli(Steamed Rice Cakes)
- Jowar Rava Idli~Diabetic Friendly
- Idli~~ Old wine in a new bottle!
- Hot Cross Idli
- Back to Roots~~ Butter Idli
Spicy Corn and Cabbage Rava Idlis
- Recipe Source: Tupperware Flyer
- Yield: 21 idlis
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 25 minutes
- Passive time: 30 minutes
- 2 ½ cups rava
- 1 ½ cup cabbage
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 1 carrot grated
- 4 cups buttermilk
- 3 tbsp oil ( I use rice bran oil)
- 1 tsp urid daal
- 1 tsp mustard
- 2 tsp Eno fruit salt
- ¼ tsp oil for greasing
- 1 tbsp hot and sweet sauce
- Salt to taste
- Combine rava, buttermilk, salt and 2 tbsp oil in a bowl and set aside for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining 1 tbsp oil add the mustard. Once the mustard crackles add the urid daal.
- Add the corn and cabbage once the urid dal becomes reddish. Sauté for a minute. Add the grated carrot.
- Add the hot and sweet sauce. Mix well.
- Pour the mixture over the rava batter and mix well.
- Add Eno fruit salt and mix well. Sprinkle water if needed. (I did not).
- Mix well. Spoon in the greased idli mould and steam for 20 minutes.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice.