18 May, 2018
Panakam, a Summer Cooler
Pankam is the traditional energy drink that is wholesome. In the sweltering heat of Andhra Pradesh you will find people guzzling Pankam as a coolant. This Pankam is specially made for Sri Ramanavami and Narasimha Jayanti.
Traditionally in India, food changes according to the season and the wisdom of our ancestors was so great that food change is cloaked in the guise of religion and tradition festivals.
The main ingredients for pankam are jaggery, sonti (dry ginger), black pepper and cardamom. Panakam acts as a coolant in the hot sweltering summer.
Jaggery has raw carbohydrates, iron, magnesium, phosphorous and potassium, the physiological equivalent of Oral Rehydration Solution (ORS), and regulates the fluid and salt equivalents lost in sweating. Dry ginger has astringent and anti-oxidant properties.
Panakam is a wholesome food when compared to today’s aerated drinks that we know are high in calories and zero nutrition.
Traditionally tulsi, holy basil is not used in making Pankam but since it helps in cooling the body I have used it.
Some other coolers for Summer are
- Thandai, How to make Sardai, Thandai for Holi #CookoutWeek.
- Mango Lemonade #CookoutWeek
- Jal Jeera ~Drinks That Cool Recipe
- Beat the Heat with Chilled Cucumber Mint Soup
- Tender Coconut Falooda
- Twilight ~A mocktail
- Cranberry Sangria`A mocktail
- Orange Mist
- Carrot, Apple and Orange Smoothie
- 1/4 cup jaggery
- 1/4 cups water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp shunthi powder/dry ginger powder
- A pinch of cardamom
- A pinch of pach karpara/ edible camphor
- A few springs of tulsi, holy basil (optional)
- Soak the jaggery in the water for about 15-20 minutes.
- Strain and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well, adjust the flavours to suit your needs.