12 November, 2017
Simple Sweet Potato Bruschetta- Bite-Sized Appetizers
This Sweet Potato Bruschetta was over by the time I came out from the kitchen. Tells you how delicious it was. The added benefit was my teenage daughter who does not like sweet potato loved it.
This easy, healthy and light snack is something any child can put together in no time. The best part is you do not spend ages in the kitchen. This is a plus in my place as none of us likes to spend hours in the kitchen.
Soft and creamy Sweet potato is a root. Popular in both savoury and sweet dishes, the sweet potato is a nutritious alternative to potato.
I want my kids to eat sweet potato, as sweet potatoes are high in vitamin A, B5, B6, and riboflavin. Sweet potatoes also contain very little fat and markedly lower calorie content than potatoes. However, they do contain more sugar. It is also an antioxidant and is thus highly recommended for anti-ageing. It has also shown cancer-prevention benefits.
The main ingredients to make Sweet Potato Bruschetta that I have used are sweet potato, tomatoes, onions, coriander leaves, chilli, salt, lime juice.
The other dishes with sweet potato that I have tried in the past are
- Goan Kanga che Kheer|Sweet Potato Pudding a Traditional Goan Dish,
- Yummy Sweet Potato, Mint and Feta Patties,
- Sweet Potato Pound Cake,
- Sweet Potato Sweet Chips,
- Sweet Potato Ravioli or Kanga che Nevri.
- Sweet Potato veggie(?)
- Sweet Potato Chaat
As for the recipe for Sweet Potato Bruschetta, there is no recipe but here goes…
Sweet Potato Bruschetta
- Preparation time: 10-15 minutes
- Cook time: 10-15 minutes
- 2 sweet potatoes medium sized
- 1 onion chopped fine
- 1 tomato chopped fine
- 1 green chilli chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice (optional)
- A few dhania/ coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- Sugar a pinch
- Wash the sweet potatoes clean. Use a scrubber if you think they are dirty.
- Then cut them up in circles about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Arrange the slices on a non-thick tava/skillet.
- Spray some oil or use a silicone brush to spread the oil on the slices.
- Cook covered, on low flame on both the sides until the slices are done. How can you tell? Your slices will have brown spots and you can cut the slice with a spoon when done.
- As the slices are cooking mix the onions, tomatoes, green chilli, coriander leaves.
- Add salt, lemon juice and sugar to taste.
- Arrange the slices on a serving tray.
- Spoon the tomato mixture on the slices.
- For older kids, sorry young adults like mine they can add the topping themselves.
- Use a combo of corn, basil and cheese, or boiled eggs, onion and tomato. The combos are endless.
- You can cook the sweet potato earlier. Let your guests do their own toppings.