30 September, 2016
Ghosali chi Kappa or Ridge Gourd Slices
These are Ghosali chi Kappa, Ridge Gourd Slices. Made from Turai they are deliciously soft and yummy. The ridge gourd is slightly peeled and then marinated in simple salt and chilli powder the shallow fried after dredging in rava/sooji. Everyday food for Goans!
Well so was I these ghosali che kappas were shared by my colleague. Once I said I liked them he shared some more. More importantly, the rest shared the recipe with me and that was when I knew there are some hidden Goan treasures that will keep coming out of the box almost every day.
Well so was I these ghosali che kappa was shared with me by my colleague. Once I said I liked them he shared some more. More importantly, the rest shared the recipe with me and that was when I knew there are some hidden Goan treasures that will keep coming out of the box almost every day.
I was to actually share something different today but my love for these dragged me to do this post.
Like I said in my earlier post ridge gourd or Tuari or herekai is a very healthy vegetable. Check out the health benefits and other ridge gourd recipes here. This is a season for ghosali as they are called in Goa and the markets are flooded with them. These are the recipes that I have tried out with them check them out as they are easy to cook and healthy too. Just what Simple and Healthy Cooking this # Cooking Carnival needs.
There is no recipe as such juts a little of this and that but listing out what is needed.
Ghosali chi Kappa
- Ridge gourd 1-2
- Haldi/turmeric ½ tsp
- Chilli powder 1-2 tsp (adjust as per taste)
- Salt to taste
- Rava/sooji or Semolina for dredging
- Oil for shallow frying
- Slightly peel the edges of the points on the ridge gourd. I did not and the edges needed a lot more time to cook and they were still not too well cooked.
- Add the salt, red chilli powder and smear slices.
- Set aside for 10-20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes heat a non-stick tava/skillet.
- Dredge the slices in rava/sooji and transfer the slices to the tava/skillet.
- Using a teaspoon add oil around the slices.
- You will need about 1-2 teaspoon cover and let the side become brown.
- Flip and cook again till they are brown on the side.
- Serve hot with rice, toi and bhaji. I will love them with a cup of tea also.