31 August, 2014
Pita bread on the Stove TopPosted in : Uncategorized on by : admin Tags: Bread, bread flour, Bread on the stove top, olive oil, Pita Bread, Sugar, yeast
This is a simple pita bread that can be made on the stove top or baked in the oven. But in case you are baking this bread then please prick the bread all around.
- 1 tblspn active yeast
- 1 tblspn sugar
- ½ cup warm water
- 4 cups bread flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tblspn olive oil
- 2 tsp salt
- In ½ cup warm water dissolve sugar
- Let it stand covered for about 10
minutes. When the yeast becomes bubbly it’s ready for use.
- In the wide bowl mix salt in the
bread flour mix the slat well.
- Make a well in the center and add
the yeast mixture.
- Mix the dough using as much as warm
water needed to make a smooth elastic dough.
- Knead well. Make a smooth ball of
- Apply oil to the bowl and place the
dough in the bowl.
- Turn the dough so that the top of
the ball is also oiled.
- Cover the bowl with a cling film and
set aside in a warm corner for the dough to rise. The dough has to be double
approximately 1 ½ to 2 hours.
- Punch down the dough and knead for 5
- Heat any tava/
skillet over medium-high heat and roll your pita bread.
- Take pieces of dough about the size of a lemon and
on a floured board roll out to a thickness of ¼ inch.
- Coat the bottom of
the hot pan with a little butter or olive oil and add your pita.
- Cook the pita for
about 30 seconds or till you get small bubbles and then flip it over.
- Cook for a minute
and a half, flip it again, and cook for another minute.
- Transfer the pita
to the direct flame and cook.
- During this time, the pita will puff up like a
pita and get some nice toasted spots on the underside.
- Flip over again on
the direct flame again you get lovely spots. You are done.
- Wrap the pita breads
in a clean dishcloth while your make the others.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!