8 April, 2014
Bajre ki Khichidi and Lassi ~Indian State HaryanaPosted in : Bachelor Recipes, Bajra, Brunch, Haryana or Hariyanvi Cuisine, Healthy food, Indian Cuisine, Kid Friendly, Simple and Healthy Vegetarian Diet in Old Age, Whole grains on by : admin Tags: Bachelor Recipes, Bajre ki Khichidi, Blogging Marathon, Haryanvi Cuisine, Healthy food, Meal, Simple and Healthy Vegetarian Diet in Old Age
|Bajre ki Khichidi Aur Lassi|
In Haryana food is simple especially in the rural areas.
The first meal of the day is lunch which is roti made from either bajra, wheat or gram with salt and green chillies. In the evening it’s the simple meal of khichri of bajra or rice and moong.
flour was used but now wheat is more popular. Saag, a vegetable is common as is milk, curd and buttermilk. The afternoon meal is usually a simple affair yet again, but at night the menu can be very varied with meat and vegetables sitting side by side.
and I was at a loss what to make. Maybe because I wanted to make malpuas and the fact that I will have no takers was dragging. I just could not see the other savoury dishes!
Simply Tadka immediately told me to make Bajre ki Khichidi and Lassi. I was shocked! Isn’t that Rajasthan? I mean
Tarla Dalal has it classified as Rajasthan!
Hearing me mutter my elder daughter told me,”Mamma, here on Haryana your write up says bajre ki khichidi . “ Thanks babes what I will do without you!
|Bajre ki Khichidi|
Bajre ki Khichidi
Recipe Source: Turban Tadka
- 1 ½ cups bajra soaked overnight
- ½ moong dal
- 3 tblspn oil
- ½ tsp jeera/cumin seeds
- 2 onions sliced
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- ¼ tsp hing/asafoetida
- ½ tsp haldi/turmeric
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- Heat 2 tblspn oil add the cumin seeds, green chillies and onion.
- Add the asafoetida, bajra and the moong dal, ¼ tsp turmeric and ¼ tsp red chilli powder, sauté.
- Add 8 cups water and the corn and pressure cook for 3-4whistles reduce heat and cook for 15 minutes.
- Once the cooker opens serve with a dollop of ghee. (Since I was on a diet I did not add the ghee).
- In another pan add the oil the carrots and the potatoes sauté for 3 minutes. Cover and cook after adding the remaining chilli powder, haldi and salt.
- Add the French beans, peas cover and cook.
- Meanwhile the cooker will open the lid and add the vegetables. Mix well.
Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!