Home / Blogging Marathon / M for Mangane
16 September, 2013

M for Mangane

Comments : 21 Posted in : Blogging Marathon, Cashew Nuts, Chana daal, Coconut Milk, Goan, Indian Desserts, jaggery on by : ArchanaPotdar Tags: , , , , , , , ,

mangane

Go to any Hindu religious ceremony in Goa there are 90% chances that you will be served Mangane!

A delicious fragrant payas traditionally Goan made in coconut milk. With the abundance in coconuts that we have coconut milk is used in almost all the Pasayam or Kheer.

Milk I believe was scarce and was hardly used. After all traditional cooking is making use of nature’s blessings! Honestly Goans generally do not like curd or milk. For a person like me who cannot think about not using milk this continues to be a shock. Let me tell you a tale, as a child next door, Richa used to be in our house. Why not she had plenty of people playing with her and she was a pleasure to have around! She had meals in our house and went home to eat her “meme” that is fish! Every day she had a conversation with my Father-in-law he said,” Richa dahi khanar” that means Will you eat curds? The pretty doll with her hand on her nose with just her chubby cheeks visible used to say, “Baba chicken khanar?” translated it means Baba will you eat chicken?

Anyway coming to Mangane its simple to make and delicious. Kaki, my husband’s friend’s mom makes the most delicious and yummiest Mangane. I have never eaten anything better.

The measures here are approximate and the coconut milk I have used comes from a tetra pack. Needless to say Kaki will not aprove as she wants her coconut milk extracted just right. The first thick milk is what she uses. ( I used 1/2 of the coconut milk and the other half got made into a delicious Sol kadhi)!

man

Mangane

Recipes Source: Deepak’s Mom, Kaki

Ingredients:

• • ¼ cup chana dal
  • • 2 tblspn sabudana/sago
  • • ¼ cup jaggery (adjust as per taste)
  • • 100ml coconut milk
  • • Cashew nuts, fried

Method:

•  Soak the sabudana in ¼ cup water.
  •  Soak the chana dal in sufficient water (the water is a little above the level of chana dal) and cook in the pressure cooker for 1 whistle. Let the pressure drop naturally.
  •  Once the cooker is open check for the done (ness) of the dal. The dal should be cooked but should keep its shape.
  •  Transfer the dal, sabudana and add 1/4cup water and cook the mixture on low flame till the sabudana is done. The sabudana becomes transparent when done. Add more water if needed about 1/8 cup at a time.
  •  Now add the jaggery and cook for 5-10 minutes.
  • Add the coconut milk.
  •  Cook on low flame stirring occasionally.
  •  Remove from the flame cool and serve.

Relearn your alphabets this Blogging Marathon. I have said that

A Aliva che ladoo

B Baked potato

C Chana cho ras

D Drunkard’s Noodles

E Eggless Pancakes

F Fried Eggs

G Gnocchi

I

Do check what my friend say here.

Courtesy: Preeti

Courtesy: Preeti

Hi! First time here?

Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here.

If you are my regular visitor then a big Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Face Book page. I will be happy if you can follow me onTwitter too!

Archana

​Hi! First time here? You are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!    ​

21s COMMENTS

21 thoughts on : M for Mangane

• PJ
    September 16, 2013 at 8:17 am

I can never imagine a day without milk and a meal without curd!!And this is definitely a delicious kheer with all that coconut milk.

• September 16, 2013 at 8:20 am

Manganese sounds to be a delicious and comforting desert ! Will try it …

• September 16, 2013 at 8:38 am

Such an interesting dish.. Dal & sabudhana in a payasam sounds delicious.

• September 16, 2013 at 9:16 am

wow thats an interesting vegan payasam dear 🙂 looks so delicious and yummy !! channa dal and sago fabulous combo’s !! thanks for sharing 🙂

• KP
    September 16, 2013 at 10:08 am

Wow,this is so simple to make but yet promises to be a very delicious dessert.

• September 16, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Wish i get a bowl of this delightful mangane, very new dish for me.

• September 16, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Enjoyed. Reading your post and the dessert sounds interesting Archana.

• September 17, 2013 at 5:15 pm

While I know of a payasam that we make with similar ingredients, the name surely is new and the connections..very nice to read about your story..:)

• September 17, 2013 at 10:37 pm

flavor profile sounds so delicious..def on the to try list

• September 17, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Baba, chicken khanar? Well narrated, Archana! Loved reading this post. And for the coconut lover in me, this payas will be bliss…will try this sometime for sure

• Sandhya Karandikar
    September 18, 2013 at 7:38 pm

Cant imagine life without milk/curds. Any payasam made with coconut milk has to be delicious. I remember our neighbour sending a bowl of this sometime during the month of “Shraavan”

• September 19, 2013 at 5:18 pm

very authentic and delicious!!! so yummy!!!

Sowmya

• September 20, 2013 at 1:39 am

Wow! Goan cuisine is amazing in versatility love the kheer!

• September 21, 2013 at 10:55 pm

Keralites and Goans are not that apart when it comes to food, mainly coconut consumption. Payasams with coconut milk (with jaggery base, mostly) is a regular thing for all the functions!

• September 27, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Such an interesting combo…looks delicious

• Pingback: P for Perad or Guava Cheese | The Mad Scientist's Kitchen!!

• Pingback: Goan Lunch Thali | My Kitchen Trials