Home / Accompaniments / Vegetable Jalfrezi
5 April, 2013

Vegetable Jalfrezi

Posted in : Accompaniments, Baby Corn, Blogging Marathon, Capsicum, Carrots, Cauliflower, Coriander, Garlic, Ginger, Kanda/Ullagaddi/Onion, Milk, Oils, Peas, Tiffin box ideas, Tomatoes, Vegetables on by : ArchanaPotdar Tags: , ,

Vegetable Jalfrize

Vegetable Jalfrize

Many a times we order Vegetable Jalfrezi especially if we have a party. Somehow we all love the mixture of vegetable and the beautiful gravy that goes with it.

The other day in a cleaning spree I found this recipe. I had copied this recipe ages ago when we were still in the stage where recipes were copied or xeroxed and not scanned or downloaded or bookmarked, from one of the cookbooks I do not know which one please let me know if this jogs your memory and  I will update the source name).

It suited my purpose as it was close to lunch time and I had a little cauliflower, 1 carrot, ½ capsicums, no French beans basically you can add and remove the veggies at hand!

The original recipe asked for grated paneer since I did not have any I used milk with a little salt added to it. It also asked for baking but I skipped that too but the jalfrezi was awesome!

This goes down in my to do list for the next party we host that is in May for Apeksha’s Birthday!

This is my Blogging Marathon entry for the month long Marathon under the theme” Occasions”!

Recipe source: Unknown

Vegetable Jalfrazie

Serves 8

• 2 cups chopped mixed vegetables, boiled( French beans, carrots, cauliflower, green peas, baby corn)
  • 2 onions, chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • ½ capsicum, chopped( I used red and yellow)
  • 1 tblspn garlic paste
  • ½ tblspn ginger paste
  • ½ to 1 tsp chili powder
  • 2 tblspn chopped coriander
  • ½ cup milk
  • 1 ½ tsp tomato ketchup
  • 1 tblsp oil
  • salt to taste
Vegetable Jalfrize

Vegetable Jalfrize

Method:

• Heat the oil and fry the garlic and ginger paste till the raw smell goes away.
  • Fry the onion till translucent
  • Add the tomatoes and fry till the tomatoes become mushy. Helps if they are cooked covered.
  • Add vegetables other than the capsicum, chilli powder, garam masala, coriander, salt and cook for a few minutes.
  • Add the tomato ketchup add the milk.   Cook for 5-6 minutes till the gravy thickens.
  • Mix in the capsicum. (this is as we do not like the capsicum cooked).
  • Serve garnished with coriander.
BM Logo by Priti

BM Logo by Priti

Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#27

Hi! First time here? Well then you are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Face Book page. I will be happy if you can follow me on Twitter too!

Archana.

​Hi! First time here? You are Most Welcome! I hope you keep coming back for more here. If you are my regular visitor then Thanks, for you encourage me to experiment more!! I would like you to please click on my link below and like my Facebook Page. I will be happy if you can follow me on on Twitter too!    ​

0 thoughts on : Vegetable Jalfrezi

• April 5, 2013 at 8:24 am

When ever we have vegetarians with us its either a paneer dish or a veg jalfrezi, I like it too. this one looks healthy, no drowned in oil :). Can you tell me how milk with salt helped in this case instead of paneer?

• April 5, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Well the quickest way to curdle milk/make paneer without adding any sour thing ( as the gravy already had tomato) was to add salt. Salt and milk do not go together.

• April 5, 2013 at 9:10 am

I can guess its delicious flavor as I go for making Paneer jalfrezi at several occasions. A good attempt with a combination of various vegetables!

• April 5, 2013 at 10:33 am

Usually i’ll make jalfrezi with paneer, veg jalfrezi looks very colourful and attractive, lovely medley of veggies.

• April 5, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Somehow I am no fan of any kind of mix veggies, I like individual tastes, so hardly make it..but yes it sure is a hit recipe, it does wonders at the hotels and restaurants too.

• April 5, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Me too make them with Paneer. I love the colors in your dish

• April 5, 2013 at 6:43 pm

When I was little, this was one of my ‘must’ items when we ate out. Love it. Looks so colourful!

• April 5, 2013 at 10:20 pm

Looks very nice..that’s a quick way to add paneer to your dish when you are not particular about cubes..:)

• April 6, 2013 at 1:04 am

Good one. Good idea to use milk and salt instead of paneer.

• April 6, 2013 at 1:45 am

Good that you ended up with a recipe while cleaning out stuff. I end up with a whole lot of rubbish whenever I clean my things!

The pictures look good, Archana. If you are talking about the size, then you can choose large or medium when you upload the picture. There are times when I too have felt that the clarity is less in the uploaded version, but I thought it was my imagination 😀

Jalfrezi looks good btw.

• nalini
    April 6, 2013 at 5:05 am

delicious looking vegetable jalfrezi..

• April 6, 2013 at 8:17 am

Very appetizing subzi and love the dish with all the lovely vegetables!

• April 6, 2013 at 8:30 am

Vegetable jalfrezi looks very tasty. Even I do add slat sometimes if I don’t have lemon at hand…

• April 6, 2013 at 10:11 am

i love thed baby corn part of jalfrezi the most it goes well with paneer and capsicum, urs looks nice and delicious

• April 8, 2013 at 7:08 am

Jalfrezi looks so colorful and delicious. Perfect party dish.

• April 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Good dish when cleaning our refrigerator.

• PJ
    April 10, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I loved that period when we used to copy down recipes and even got them xeroxed. I rearely xerox now but do copy a few now and then.
    And this one is on my to-do list for a long long time. Must try when the fridge needs cleaning 🙂

• pinksocks
    April 22, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Veggies of the season in one dish. Yumm

• May 1, 2013 at 3:30 am

Never tried the addition of milk. The jalfrezi looks colorful.