6 October, 2011
Jam Tarts~ A Sweet PunchComments : 23 Posted in : Uncategorized on by : admin Tags: Baked, Baking Powder, Butter, Jam, Maida, Sweet Punch
For this month Sweet Punch Ria has chosen Jam Tarts!
My heart sank at the sight of the recipe for it looked like a shortcrust pastry and something that had ended as a mess that I had to bin. I was sure I will sink right under again!!
But since I don’t usually give up easily I decided to try my hand once again. One last time I told myself. Make only a few that you can eat up if there are no takers. And so I did!!
Before we start let me confess that I used not only Ria’s recipe to make the tarts but also what I googled about them for my fear about failing this was quite huge.
But I was unduly worried for the tarts were a huge success!!
Not only I made it & it got over before I had a decent snap in spite of the jam that I had used was strawberry jam that was lying in the fridge for some time and hence I baked the tarts again today. To tell you how good they tasted my husband, yes the mental diabetic, fetched me the ingredients for the next bake most importantly willingly and relished the tarts… Thanks Ria!!!
115 grms Maida
60 grms chilled butter
½ tsp baking powder
3-4 drops of water (chilled)
1. Mix the baking powder and flour. I sieved them.
2. Add the chilled butter and rub with finger tips till it resembles bread crumbs.
3. Add the water and cut the dough with a blunt knife.(My googled recipe)
4. Now on the first day that I made this I was to keep an appointment hence I made ball out of the dough wrapped it with cling flim and stuck it in the fridge.(again thanks to Google)
5. After I came back after about an hour I preheated the oven to 180°C.
6. Spread this in the small muffin cups. Since Ria had said that I will need I will need 12 nos. I took little more than half the dough out of the fridge and coated my 6 moulds.
7. Fill the jam in the cases to 2/3 capacity. Bake till done for these I needed 20 minutes. For the bigger ones that I baked today I needed 26 minutes.
Thanks Ria once again. Had it not been for this challenge I would have never ventured out in this form of baking and more importantly enjoyed it!